October 10th: Girl Scouts
It is Day 10 of the #11DaysofAction hosted by the Girl Scouts.
Every day, girls are pushing past barriers and achieving the impossible. That’s because their G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ spirit motivates them to fearlessly take action to make the world a better place. Whether on a national stage or in their communities, girls are bravely advocating for change and showing the world what they’re made of.
Let’s face it—girls are unstoppable. They’re bold, brilliant, courageous, and powerful beyond measure. And the way they spend their money is too. Unfortunately, roadblocks like the “pink tax” and gender wage gap affect women and girls at alarming rates. Meaning the same women and girls who drive nearly 80 percent of all consumer purchasing and are predicted to control almost $20 trillion in worldwide spending in 2018 aren’t making their fair share. It needs to be said: girls’ dollars matter. We know it, and now it’s time the world does too.
When we talk about economic empowerment, we’re talking about championing girls as they become leaders in their communities who confidently make financial decisions. Girl Scouts prepares girls for a lifetime of leadership through programming that focuses on entrepreneurial and life skills using countless resources and engaging activities. You can extend your support too! Together, we can make sure girls increase their financial literacy, raise awareness about putting their dollar where their values are, and advocate for themselves in the face of economic inequality.
Join us to help the next generation of female leaders as they economically empower themselves. You can show your support by trying out the following activities:.
- Know your worth—Practice what to say when negotiating a fair wage, whether it’s for babysitting or when applying for their dream job,.
- Flex your economic impact—Spend money with companies that support your values only. Share with us on social media which brands girls are choosing to support and which items they’re leaving on the shelves.
- Learn more about the pink tax—Women’s products cost more than men’s for no reason. Take a stand! Call out companies whose products for girls and women are more expensive than the same products for boys and men.
Amplify your commitment on social media using #GirlDollarsMatter and linking to Girl Scouts’ financial literacy resources.
Some examples to consider:
- Girls and women drive nearly 80% of all consumer spending but are only paid about 80 cents for every dollar men make. I support equal pay and reject economic inequality: https://bit.ly/2NqQRRH #GirlDollarsMatter
- I’m taking a stand against the pink tax. #GirlDollarsMatter, so I’m spending mine with companies that support women’s and girls’ economic empowerment only. https://bit.ly/2NqQRRH
- In honor of International Day of the Girl Child, I’m pledging to continue my commitment to supporting girls’ economic empowerment. Retweet if you agree that #GirlDollarsMatter! https://bit.ly/2NqQRRH
- Girls and women hold some of the largest spending power in the country. I stand in support of their continual economic empowerment: https://bit.ly/2NqQRRH#GirlDollarsMatter
- I want to live in a world where girls’ dollars matter and their earning potential has no limit. https://bit.ly/2NqQRRH#GirlDollarsMatter
- Whether starting a babysitting business or negotiating in a board room, I want all girls and women to feel empowered to be their own biggest advocate. https://bit.ly/2NqQRRH#GirlDollarsMatter